Pages

August 19, 2015

Urdu and I # 1

As an Indian  (even when I am a non Muslim by faith) , knowingly or unknowingly I had been exposed to this beautiful language. Ghazals and Hindi songs were the only sources of Urdu for us here. Having been friends with many Muslims did not improve the situation as well. I kept on browsing  meanings of different songs on internet and I do it even today.

I have watched many many Pakistani telefilms and serials on 'Zindagi' and to my surprise I love almost all of them, if I ignore points like cousins getting married which is just not acceptable in our community. I was so glad to see roads and houses like India, family culture like India , people like India and above all graceful and meaningful title songs like what we used to hear in Pre-Ekta era. For a person like me, who distastes border politics from both countries and Pakistan's back stabbing every now and then - it was a shock, a pleasant one. While I try to balance the hate-love content in my heart for Pakistan, I make it a point to listen to all beautiful songs composed, sung and written by Pakistanis. Just to have the feel of Urdu.

This particular song called "Zindagi Khak na thi"is very close to my heart. Translation does not show the exact meaning but shows more of what I have interpreted.

***

Zindagi khaak na thi khaak udatay guzri,
Tujh say kya kehtay teray pass jo aatay guzri.


Life is not all about ashes, but was almost spent doing nothing special in a way.
What should I tell you when I felt it (Life) was/is more meaningful, when you are/were around.

Din jo guzra toh kisi yaad ki roh main guzra
Shaam aayi toh koi khuwaab dikhatay guzri


The day is spent dwelling in the story which is made up of your memories,
The evening comes and shows some (of your) dreams as well.

Raat kya aayi kay tanhaai ki sarghoshi main
Hoo ka aalam tha magar suntay sunatay guzri


The night arrives with whispers of loneliness,
It was a dessert but still I was talking to you.

Zindagi khaak na thi khaak uratay guzri,
Tujh say kya kehtay teray pass jo aatay guzri.


Life is not all about ashes, but was almost spent doing nothing special in a way.
What should I tell you when I felt it (Life) was/is more meaningful, when you are/were around.


***

In case you are interested in listening to this touching song,





No comments:

Post a Comment