Pages

April 5, 2017

E for Emoticons


Emoticons had sorted my 'no expressions' in messaging problem way back in 2008 with java short codes in Yahoo messangers. My sonic typing speed increased to super sonic with it and my emotions were also take care of. When 'WhatsApp' era started and integrated themselves with Emoji and short codes, the teenager in me was more than pleased. I started using them extensively - even after the java short codes were disintegrated later on.

So much that smileys I used had become my identity. People could predict how would I construct a message. If I analyse each emoticon I was addicted to (before and after standard java short code era), showed my (rising from negative) level of maturity and composure.

2010: I was freshly out of college, I used below smiley a lot. Talk about maturity. Also, it came with a java standard short code, exactly like Yahoo Messenger and this one had the easiest code ':p'.

2013: I did not show my tongue (Also, short codes on my then-new mobile stopped working). Rather I started grinning at the end of every sentence I typed. It is actually grimacing, but this smiley is used to show 'Battisi' than anything else in India.

2014: I got married and I realized 'happy tears' are a thing. Kidding. I started laughing so much that my tear glands went berserk, on every comment I made.


2016: I became too matured to handle my emotions and rather hanged myself upside down at the drop of the hat.

If you are thinking, I am becoming more and matured with age, do not stop reading.

2017: I am yet not into a new emoticon with decreasing use of Whatsapp but I have started using texts and mails without entering Emoticons because it takes 1.3 seconds to insert one without using java short code.Which I guess is a good change but believe me, there is an issue with it.

I realized it only when my mom asked referring to my text to her.

What does ':P' mean?

Looks like I'm going back to 2010 in the era of java short code and Yahoo Messenger, subconsciously. And my mom is not able to understand the dilemma of an engineer who knows Java short codes.

And of her daughter who refuses to grow up.

:D

No comments:

Post a Comment